Tuesday, May 15, 2007

A Cephalophoric Oneiro-Gloss on "Non potest hoc corpus decollari" (Augustine, Enarrationes in Psalmos, 88.5)

Four days ago I had a wonderful dream. Because I still remember it, it must be worth telling. In the dream, I could remove my head. It was very easy. I simply placed my hands near the base of my skull at instinctively known points and the head gently detached with minimal bleeding. It was very relaxing. My center of consciousness or point of view remained where my head had been (if that is where it is normally). I looked my head in the face, placed it on the ground, and strolled around until I found another, larger head which I attached to my body (this detail may be related to having recently thought about the significance of Aesop's big head). Now it gets interesting and a little more poetic. Some children were playing nearby and they started getting close to my head on the ground. I was concerned that they might accidentally damage it in their play. Somehow it was more fragile when not attached to my body. So I spent a few minutes guarding my head from the playing children. Then I woke up, without having replaced the Aesopian big head with mine. Lying in bed, I curiously tried the head-removing technique, but it didn't work.

No comments: